Re: [Amps] high voltage fuses

To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] high voltage fuses
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 12:23:06 -0400
Instantaneous peak current can be a lot more than 5-10% more than key down and long term stressing of an underated fuse will eventually fail.

A tube arc/short instantaneous current will take out a 2-2.5X rated fuse as fast as a smaller one.

All the commercial TX Ive ever seen have the fuse in the same area as the tube and that includesmilitary ones Ive worked on.

Dentron used a pair of 1 Ohm 1/2W carbon composition resistors in parallel at the base of the RFC as the fuse, seems to do the job for some failures but not all.

I suppose the old style 220V cartridge fuse could be rebuilt for HV but I would never suggest any bare wire with a simple covering at much over 2000V. I suggest those who believe it is OK should see the results of a plasma arc, nothing stops it until power is cut.

Carl

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>