Re: [Amps] 160M PI network Toroidal Coil

To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 160M PI network Toroidal Coil
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 12:23:15 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, October 07, 2013 5:02 AM
Subject: [Amps] 160M PI network Toroidal Coil

Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 09:28:36 -0400
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
To: "Bill Turner" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, "Amps" <amps@contesting.com>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Turner" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
To: "Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 05, 2013 11:43 PM

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Sun, 06 Oct 2013 00:25:36 +0000, Manfred wrote:

You are wrong regarding the loss. The loss isn't "essentially zero",
unfortunately. Such a coil will likely end up having a Q between 300 and
350, perhaps lower if other metal objects are too close to it, or if it
uses some lossy support. Now if the loaded Q of the tank circuit is 12,
as is often done by design, then the coil will loose about 4% of the RF
power. At 1500W output that would be 60 watts, which is enough to make
that coil very hot, unless there is a strong stream of air cooling it.

REPLY:

I stand by what I said. I have such a coil in my homebrew 8877 amp using
wire and it runs barely warm with the key down. I call that "essentially
zero" in the sense you'll never notice it.

73, Bill W6WRT

However the thread is about a SB-220 which may make 1300W PEP on a good day and will never be used for RTTY at more than half that due to the wimpy PS.

A pair of T200-2 toroids works fine for that as well as the thousands of
Alphas and other amps that have used them at up to twice the power.

Carl
KM1H

## The correct Torroids to use are T225-2A these are the ones that when laid flat on a table, are 1 inch tall. The T225-2 is only .5 inch tall. 3 x T225-2A stacked, end up being 2.25 inch diam x 3 inch long. Then wiund with 8 ga wire. Bare 8 ga wire is .128 thick....and
slightly thicker with the typ magnet wire.

** There is no "correct" toroid or the number stacked. Anything over a pair of T200-2's or a single T200A is overkill at SB-220 power levels for SSB/CW.

The T-225/225B (there is no T225-2A) size buys you absolutely nothing over the 200 size except a few more turns of wire of the same diameter. Inductance per 100 turns is identical between the single heights as well as double heights. If anybody wants T225-2 or -2B cores I have many at a much lower cost than Amidon, Palomar, etc.

Carl