Re: [Amps] query re no-ground AC wall socket and amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] query re no-ground AC wall socket and amp
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 13:31:33 -0700
On 10/14/2013 9:52 AM, Charles Harpole wrote:
  The AC supply on the wall socket is two-pin with one side hot and the other
side NEUTRAL, not ground.  There is no ground.
2.  Which of the two pins is hot?  That is not known.
3.  Voltage is 220VAC measured from one pin to the other.

Are you saying there are only two terminals on the socket?

I suspect that one of them is a neutral. To determine that, find a ground and measure the voltage between both terminals and the ground. The voltage between neutral and ground won't be zero, but it will be a lot less that 220V.

In ANY proper power supply, nothing on the transformer primary will be grounded (or tied to chassis). You can check that with an ohmeter (although it won't be possible to measure from the plug if there's an interlock associated with the power switch -- you'll have to open it up and get to the transformer primary leads). The power supplies for my Titans are interlocked, and they are configured exactly as Gerald has described. The fan runs on half of the transformer primary.

73, Jim K9YC