Re: [Amps] More on two pin 220vac

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] More on two pin 220vac
From: oz5tg@post2.tele.dk
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 21:34:20 +0200
First of all: I am NOT a professional electrician, and the following is
my understanding of the power system in my country, and I shall NOT be
repsonsible for damages that happens if somebody uses this description as
a "Guide for installation".

One has to understand that powersystems can be differently constructed
and wired in different countries. I can only speak for my own country,
but I believe that it will be the case for most eurepean countries amd
most other systems using 220VAC as mains supply.

First there is a VERY important thing to know: Equipment where you may
touch metalparts like electric tools, radios with metal cabinet etc MUST
have a ground connection. Equipment that does not pose that risk may have
only two wires: Neutral and Line. This can be lamps, computers supplied
by a SMPS, soldering iron with a transforator etc.

To understand the wiring you must know how power is distributed: Normally
the mains is distributed as 3-phase high voltage to your local
neighborhood transformer. Here it is transformed to 3-phase 380VAC with a
centerpoint Zero that is grounded directly at the transformes site. Power
is then didtributed to the user as 3 phases and the grounded line named
Neutral. Or you could have 1 or 2 phases and 1 Neutral. The voltage
between Neutral and any phase is 220V, and between any 2 phases 380V

At the entrance of your house you have yet a groundconnection: 2-3 meters
of iron rod in the ground.

So at your service now you have 5 wires: 3 phases, 1 neutral and 1
ground.

These are routed trough a device("fault current relay") that measures the
current between ground and any of the four lines. If that current becomes
too big (>10-20mA) it cuts out everything. That protects your life(been
there, done that, got scared)

For 220V-Single phase devices You can have wall outlets with two or three
connections: 1 - Line and Neutral, and 2 - Line, Neutral and ground,
depending on what type of equipment is going to be used. With a 2-wire
outlet you have no way of knowing which line is live or neutral, whereas
it is well defined with a 3-wire outlet.

For 2 or 3-phase devices(Powertools - PA's etc) You can have a 3-phase
outlet with neutral and ground. Some devices may use all four - some
other only the 3 phases and ground).

Personally I use 3 and 5-wire outlet for all my equipment - radios and
measuring devices for several reasons: 1-Protect myself against failing
equipment, and 2-Protecting the equipment against static charges that
could damage sensitive inputs.

Hope it clarifies - sorry for the bandwith.

Best 73 de OZ5TG, Verner