[Amps] Large Variac controlling HV power supply

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Large Variac controlling HV power supply
From: Dave Trainor <dave@n8zfm.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 19:52:04 +0000
Is there any disadvantage (other than size) in utilizing a large 30 amp variac
to supply the line voltage to the HV transformer in a power supply?    I have a
5000V 3A transformer that came from an industrial induction heater, and the
variac from the same to control the voltage. Now both of these are large, but
considering a floor roll around unit for the power supply and building the
variac into the top with its steering wheel control.  Since I have both the
cost is small but is there a disadvantage to doing this power wise? I expect at
the current draw for legal limit I should see no voltage sag at all at 3000v
since the cycle dyne induction heater the transformer came from was a 10kW unit
CCS of course.

Thanks,
David Trainor - N8ZFM