Re: [Amps] GS23B Plate load resistance for HF

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] GS23B Plate load resistance for HF
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 08:14:03 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 09:02:26 -0000, GM3SEK wrote:

>There is a major difference between the Western high-mu triodes and the
>Russian family of low-mu triodes.  High-mu triodes like the 8877 are
>designed to deliver good gain and efficiency at relatively low anode
>voltages, but the GS35b requires much higher voltages. Performance at
>anything below 3.0kV is sure to be disappointing, and the best overall
>performance is generally obtained at about 3.5kV on load, rising closer
>to 4.0kV off-load. Some specimens will tolerate higher voltages but with
>a rapidly increasing risk of arcing.
>

>73 from Ian GM3SEK

REPLY:

That's good to know Ian, but the spec sheet I have says the max DC is 3kV
and the max instantaneous peak is 6kV. I'm sure those values can be exceeded
a certain amount but one would be getting into risky territory. On the other
hand, the tubes are so cheap it might be worth the risk.  I know some folks
are running them at 4kV with no apparent problems.

Thanks for the info.

73, Bill W6WRT