[Amps] UHF Connectors

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] UHF Connectors
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:02:35 -0800
On 11/11/2013 10:37 AM, Fuqua, Bill L wrote:
Isn't "UHF Connector" an oxymoron?

The name dates from the '30s or early '40s. No question that there's a small discontinuity due to the Zo of the connector, but it certainly doesn't matter below 50 MHz, and at higher frequencies is often swamped by line loss.

Several years ago, I made up a dozen or so lengths of coax for a DX trip using very low loss cable that I'd bought at a great price, surplus from a telecom bankruptcy -- construction much like LMR400, except #10 solid copper for the center, excellent braid/foil shield. As a test, when I was finished, I connected them all in series, about 1,200 ft, and measured with HP generator and HP spectrum analyzer up to about 500 MHz. I had about 23 83-1SPs and 11 or 12 barrels in line. The loss at 500 MHz was less than the published spec for the cable. Loss was measured by substitution (that is, differencing a short direct connection between generator analyzer with the cable under test) at all of the test frequencies.

73, Jim K9YC