Re: [Amps] UHF Connectors & Crimpers: WHICH/WHAT SOURCE

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] UHF Connectors & Crimpers: WHICH/WHAT SOURCE
From: donroden@hiwaay.net
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 19:32:26 -0600
Quoting Drax Felton <draxfelton@gmail.com>:

So now that we know UHF connectors impedance means beans until 500 MHz ... Which is more reliable In the long term N or UHF?

I build both N and UHF connectors with solder.

I build both in a way that absolutely prevents any stray pieces of braided shield from ever shorting out the connector.

If I tried to pull apart a UHF male-barrel-UHF male , the coax will fail somewhere in the middle before the connector will separate from the coax.

Same with the type N.

You have to be more careful soldering the center pin on a type N, but with practice, it's not that difficult.

I would trust a UHF with as much power at 432 as I would a type N.

The UHF has more contact area even if it is a lower impedance.

I don't have a preference.... I just use whatever the antenna or amp requires.

Don W4DNR