Re: [Amps] All the recent UHF connector discussion

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] All the recent UHF connector discussion
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 17:48:26 -0700
Dave,

I am also not aware of any UHF calibration standards. I used the HP cal kit which is an offset (both open and short) cal kit with the open also having a fringing capacitance. The VNA removes the cal standards anomalies during calibration giving a reference plane at the edge of the 3.5mm connector. I think the offset is as you mentioned 32-33ps. I have hundreds of the RG-142 jumpers which came from some UHF aircraft diplexers and are manufactured from the same batch of RG-142B. I did the cal with one of these cables and then cut the connector off one and soldered the PL-259 on. I was only interested in SWR so losing the reference plane was not important and could still measure SWR.

I came into a buy of a large number of very high quality new adapters a year or so ago from a company who designed PCS type cell equipment and was closing a design center. The BNC to SMA adapters were doubled up and showed SWR @ 500MHz below 1.05:1. I believe what I did to be accurate at 500MHz.

Larry, W0QE