Re: [Amps] SSPA & Heatsink Compounds

To: garyk9gs@wi.rr.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SSPA & Heatsink Compounds
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 00:54:46 -0500
back in my overclocking days when I would use water cooling to cool
the processor I would use this arctic Silver and it was quite good.
They had another offshoot called Ceramique I believe and it was
equally good, some said better but it took several weeks to settle in
for the maximum heat transfer. The game was to "lap" the heat sink to
get it as equally flat as the top of the processor.

Wet sanding with 1500 wet dry on a piece of glass was the first step.
Once the surface was equally flattened the next step was to do the
same with 3000 grit until you had a mirror polish. Then to finally
buff with a piece of crocus cloth on the glass to get the maximum
flatness with minimal score lines from the paper. When applying the
arctic silver the goal was to spread it as thinly as possible so it
covered 100% of the contact area and then when you applied the heat
sink you did it at an angle so as to not trap any air bubble between
the processor and the heat sink. Supposedly the micro fine silver
particles would create an ideal heat transfer condition when squeezed
together. The Arctic silver had the unfortunate characteristic to
short out exposed metal bits on the processor if you did not apply it
cleanly. The Ceramique as I recall did not do this.

Probably overkill but it did seem to work very well.

Gary
KA1J

> Here is some good information:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_grease
>
> There is a product called Arctic Silver that is very popular with
> gamers/computer users.  I don't know much about it but it's widely
> available from computer parts dealers like newegg.com.  Search under
> "thermal grease" or "thermal compound".
>
> For recommendations I'd look at manufacturer's website for the
> device
> you're using.  They may have an app note.
>
> I do know that you want to apply a uniform THIN coat.  More is NOT
> better.  At work we use small rubber rollers to apply.  Almost like
> paint roller.
>

> On 12/11/2013 10:15 AM, Col. Paul E. Cater wrote:
> > Greeting all,
> >
> > I'm getting around to my 2 meter kilowatt SSPA.  My question is
> which of
> > the multitude of heatsink compounds do you recommend?  I have read
> some of
> > the comparisons mostly dealing with CPU cooling.  But, would like
> some
> > input from piratical experience.  The silver formulations seem to
> do a bit
> > better.
> >
> > In addition, I am assuming that I want a layer of the stuff
> between the
> > copper heat spreader and the heatsink?
> >
> > Paul
> > WD8OSU