Re: [Amps] MOVs

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] MOVs
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 22:37:32 -0800
On 1/23/2014 10:02 AM, Carl wrote:
Inductive industrial equipment use big MOV's for spike suppression on single and 3 phase lines of many voltages.

Again, the problem comes with interconnected equipment when the MOV dumps the spike onto ground. Won't repeat previous email. :)

I use a pair of large Littlefuse MOV's as a whole house limiter and right at the main panel.

That's an excellent application.

Lines that are used with electronics when on generator power are also treated with MOV's and .01/2KV buffer rated disc caps.

Some things that are common practice are bad practice. Like "The Pin One Problem" -- cable shields that go to a circuit board rather than to the shielding enclosure. Like power cords whose green wire goes to the mounting lug of a terminal strip that is insulated from the chassis by paint. I'm sure you can cite plenty more examples. :)

73, Jim K9YC