[Amps] Force cooled heatsink aerodynamics

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Force cooled heatsink aerodynamics
From: Alan Ibbetson <alan@g3xaq.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 16:32:12 +0000
I'm planning on using one of these in my solid sate PA project

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/17645.pdf

and I'm curious to know what is inside the box between the fan and the cooler matrix in the second "V" variant in the datasheet to give it the 20% improvement in performance. They call it an "air flow chamber".

Has anyone had something like this apart? Is the 30mm deep box empty and just giving the airflow a chance to stop spinning so much before it has to enter the honeycomb? Or are there fixed blades which are shaped to guide the air, in the way they do with some gas turbines?

I am asking because the heatsink will be carrying a large RF voltage which I doubt the insulation on the low voltage fan can withstand, so I need some some sort of insulated coupling between the fan and heatsink anyway and I thought I might as well try to duplicate the manufacturer's metal one.

73, Alan G3XAQ