Re: [Amps] Solid state relays..again

To: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Solid state relays..again
From: MU 4CX250B <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 18:49:40 -0700
I agree completely with Manfred's assessment, but just want to add a
couple of comments. First, these NTC resistors are usually referred to
as "current inrush limiters," and cost about a dollar.  Second, while
high current ones usually have a relatively low cold resistance (e,g.
5 ohms), lower current ones (1-2amps) can have a 25-50 ohm cold
resistance. I find the CL-140 type very handy for limiting inrush
current in transmitting tube filaments. I also routinely put one in
the primary winding of boatanchor receiver transformers

Because the devices run hot, I avoid clipping their leads short, and
use Teflon sleeving for insulation. It's best to keep them away from
other components.

73,
Jim W8ZR

Sent from my iPhone