Re: [Amps] Fan Noise in GS-35b Amplifiers

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fan Noise in GS-35b Amplifiers
From: John G3UUT <amps@grebe.plus.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 23:03:43 +0000
A possible blower you could consider is the EBM Papst G1G108-AB17-02, this is capable of over 100 CFM at low pressures and could well be adequate if you are not going to push things too hard. The good thing about it is that the speed can be controlled by an external DC voltage or resistor network which means it's possible to easily implement schemes to reduce the speed / noise when the temp of the outlet air is low.

I've never actually used one of these these blowers but had it in mind for an amp I've been planning so don't blame me if it's really noisy. However I don't think it's likely to be too bad because; a) its a diecast spiral and in my experience these are quieter than sheet metal and b) My experience with Papst blowers and fans has been very positive. Anybody else tried them?

If all else fails just cook the thing like the rest of us do, the GS35b is just about the most rugged valve there is and they are not too expensive either and if you really fry it you can get your money back on the cooler at the scrap metal dealer.

Have fun
John G3UUT