Re: [Amps] Pi-L Network Question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Pi-L Network Question
From: Vic Rosenthal <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 09:13:06 -0700
My experience might not be helpful, but for what it's worth:

I've used the G3SEK spreadsheet for two amplifiers, both with pi networks (not pi-L). The first was a class-C amplifier with a pair of 813's. I found that the calculated value for the loading capacitor on 160 was inadequate, but what seemed to be wrong was the calculated inductance. I ended up increasing the inductance to get proper loading and good efficiency on that band. I used K=2.0 for class C.

The other amplifier was a 4CX1000A. Here the issue was that the impedance shown by the load line was much lower than what would be produced by a K of 1.5 - 1.7 as suggested for class AB (it was closer to a K of 2). I went with the load line value and the amplifier seems to load properly with reasonable efficiency.