Re: [Amps] HV & temps

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV & temps
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 19:47:50 -0400
Carl & the other FB gents who replied off list,

Thanks for the explanation. The difference in temps was very
surprising to me. I never had thought to do the equivalent of a
rectal probe on an amps exhaust. We see the power on our watt meters
but the air temps aren't metered, at least not on any amp I've owned.
As to the probe, I'm using the Sunbeam electric oven probe for the
bird at Thanksgiving, it slides into the exhaust ductwork just fine).

As to the loafing, Seems like RTTY doesn't need a lot of power but
rather than run the K3 at 100 W RTTY, 300W ought to be fine using the
amp at minimal settings. The amps blower is at full RPM so I figured
it was a no brainer. Nope, needs a brain...

I run legal limit during the contests and other than taking part in
the last couple of SSB contests, I've only worked CW contests from
day one, nothing else. I was thinking this amp ought to be good for
RTTY at legal limit all day long but I see I'd surely break 200F if I
did that. Will see what comes about with the low power setting.

73,

Gary
KA1J

> Cuz the amp is not designed to be loafed in the HV position, efficiency
> sucks do to the much different plate load.
> The LV position is a bit more efficient.
>
> Why are you loafing an 8877 for anyway? Drive it with 50W and tune for max
> in the LV position and then measure.
>
> Carl
> KM1H

---