Re: [Amps] How, and at what stage in production, are vac variable

To: <amps@contesting.com>, "'Chris Wilson'" <chris@chriswilson.tv>
Subject: Re: [Amps] How, and at what stage in production, are vac variable
From: "Ian White" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 09:24:09 +0100
Jim is right, because both ceramic and glass vacuum variables are
designed to be pumped and sealed just one time - when they are being
manufactured. Manufacturing involves many one-way steps such as melting,
welding and vacuum-brazing parts together; and it all has to be done in
custom made assembly jigs to maintain the tight mechanical tolerances.

Re-manufacturing is only cost effective for large, high-value
transmitting tubes. For a vacuum variable, the cost would greatly exceed
the replacement value.

However, as Jim points out, you can easily check the performance of a
vacuum capacitor with a hi-pot tester. The voltage breakdown of a
capacitor that has "come up to air" will be greatly reduced (although
some capacitors may still be usable in lower-voltage applications like
"C2" in a pi-network).

What specifically is the problem, Chris?

73 from Ian GM3SEK