Re: [Amps] How, and at what stage in production, are vac variable

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] How, and at what stage in production, are vac variable
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 10:09:11 -0400
On 4/1/2014 4:24 AM, Ian White wrote:
Jim is right, because both ceramic and glass vacuum variables are
designed to be pumped and sealed just one time - when they are being
manufactured. Manufacturing involves many one-way steps such as melting,
welding and vacuum-brazing parts together; and it all has to be done in
custom made assembly jigs to maintain the tight mechanical tolerances.

I would expect the evacuation to be one of, if not the last step. The body has a glass tube sticking out the side through which the cap is evacuated.

The evacuation is not a complex process, but it is one fraught with dangers for the cap. Once evacuated, the tube is carefully heated until it is soft and the vacuum will pull it closed, then the tube us heated until it can be pulled off while rotating

To evacuate an existing cap the process is much more delicate. The tip of the "tit" is cut off, then a glass tube is fused to the body. The problem is that the area around where the tube is fused must be carefully heated to prevent a steep temperature gradient and the associated stress which would likely cause the body to crack or break. I do not know how much stress this particular glass can take. It's a fine line between where you can pull it off or the vacuum sucks the molten glass in, letting the pressure go back to atmospheric.

Most of the work I did required a Hydrogen torch which is a very clean "and almost invisible" flame which makes it dangerous. It also takes a lot of Hydrogen compared to Acetylene as IIRC the Hydrogen flame temp is much less than Acetylene.

So, "IF" you have the skill to attach the tube, you need the vacuum equipment consisting of a mechanical, roughing pump, and a diffusion pump. The equipment to accurately measure the vacuum, and the skill to do the glass work.

I do not know what pressure they evacuate to, but 10^-1 Torr is about where the remaining gas ionizes easily, so "my guess" is probably"
 1 X 10^-5 to 1 X 10^-7 Torr.  Most likely 1 X 10^-6 or better.

The mechanical pumps are unlikely to be the little ones you see in chem lab, but 2 stage, rotary vane pumps (6 to 12 liter). Diffusion pumps may be anything from 4" to 10" in diameter with a water cooled back gassing baffle. IIRC ours had a 4 stage chimney. Some where around 10 ^-6 or -7 we moved to liquid Nitrogen cooling. Typically 1 X 10^-7 or better also required ion pumps. I doubt they would be necessary

Note: Diffusion pumps work with the scraping action of a high velocity gas. At these levels, most of the gas molecules cling to the surface.

The vacuum systems I worked with were for "chambers" that varied from 12 X 12 X 38 to over 36 X 36 X 48. The big one contained a 20 KW plus Electron beam and could melt an 8 or 10" dia Silicon Ingot. It used a a 3CW20,000 A7 for control.

So if the copper has not arced, or warped, you still have to evacuate and seal the body. So to evacuate an existing cap would probably take several hours, unless the vacuum system were set up to run continuously. With the skill and equipment required, we are most likely looking at a minimum of $500 to $1000 dollars, for a "one off" job just to evacuate an existing cap. This is if no glass to metal seals require repair. The low number is most likely a bit optimistic.

I'll see if I have the "innards" of a non variable cap and post a photo...If I can remember to do so. It had arced which is quite evident. With a deeply pitted surface like this, rebuilding would be a lost cause.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Re-manufacturing is only cost effective for large, high-value
transmitting tubes. For a vacuum variable, the cost would greatly exceed
the replacement value.

However, as Jim points out, you can easily check the performance of a
vacuum capacitor with a hi-pot tester. The voltage breakdown of a
capacitor that has "come up to air" will be greatly reduced (although
some capacitors may still be usable in lower-voltage applications like
"C2" in a pi-network).

What specifically is the problem, Chris?

73 from Ian GM3SEK