Re: [Amps] HF2500 Power Supply Caps

To: "Paul Hewitt" <wd7s@earthlink.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HF2500 Power Supply Caps
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 01:34:06 -0700
## Check out the Buss HVU series of HV fuses...then extrapolate the curves. Then test on the bench with a scope to verify that data. BTW, those fuses can easily be rebuilt. I have also tried hb hv fuses, encased in either teflon spagetti tubing or heat shrink.....suspended between standoffs. Then crank up the
screws tight, in a CW fashion, so there is lots of tension in the fuse wire.

## For folks that want to use a 25 ohm glitch and say a 3 kv supply.. fault current is 120 A. Stuff 120 A through a 1 A rated fuse...and you will soon see it blows open pretty damn quick. Even with a 50 ohm glitch and same 3 kv,
the 60A fault current will still open up a 1 A rated fuse very fast.

## You could put the scope across the cold end of the last resistor in a HV multiplier string.
http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/bussmann/Electrical/Resources/product-datasheets-b/Bus_Ele_DS_6003_HV_Series.pdf

You can see that with just 4A flowing through a 1A rated HV fuse..it will open up in 10 msecs. Now stuff 50-60-120 amps through the same
1A rated fuse..and you will measure a LOT less than 10 msecs.

Jim   VE7RF

-----Original Message----- From: Paul Hewitt