Re: [Amps] Using computer CPU coolers on GI46b triode ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Using computer CPU coolers on GI46b triode ?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 01:27:34 -0400
On 5/9/2014 3:53 PM, Steve Gorecki VE3RX wrote:
Speaking from the CPU side of things, most CPU coolers cool a CPU that
gives off about 65-135W of heat. Usually not any more than that. Thus,
depending on the tube dissipation, you would need several CPU coolers. Even
if you used a CPU water cooled cooler, they are still rated at about
125-150W maximum.

I work with overclocking a lot. Some of my video cards run over 400 watts. Has any one who proposed looked into the design and capacities of these systems? I'd have to guess not. Besides only handling several hundred watts at less than 60-70C

Some of the newer ones will go to 220-240 watts at CPU temps. They can be a real PITA and will be a PITA if pushed in temp or watts beyond their design ratings.

The "heat Pipe" systems are designed to try to keep the CPU die at roughly 40C. In the old days we ran tiny dies ~ 3/8th in sq wuth 90 mm high speed fans and hoped for less than 90C system life was not all that was hoped for and they were NOISY!

Right now, I'm sitting between two, 4.4 GHz, 8 core CPUs, with 300 watt plus video cards. The Power supplies are 850 to a 100 watt. Each has 3 drive caddies, that will hold 3 drives, but there are not that many interfaces.

I just don't see how a CPU heatsink and CPU fan can cool a GI46b at full
power... However that said, a tube can run a lot hotter than any CPU can,

Today's CPU architecture is likely to lead a short life with its hundreds of millions of microscopic components near 90C. The CPU is about 1.25 in^sq and requires just the right amount of , exotic and expensive heat transfer compound. IE, not too much and not too little. These CPUs can run from several hundred dollars to well over a thousand, so a mistake can be expensive (and not highly visible)

maybe double the temperature. Taking that into consideration, maybe a CPU
cooler can dissipate 250W of heat when running at tube temperatures...

If you could get the cooler to hold together at those temps.
By far, the most efficient, practical, and reliable is plain old water cooling and can be a PITA to set up. Most of those coolers contain a lot of PVC and that cheap, low temp plastic that so many of us are so fond of<:-))

All of my full size tower cases are designed to allow water cooling to be used. Water cooling (chilled water) is silent, efficient, and reliable. Note, the computer people already made provisions for using water cooling.

We're talking computers here, not something that runs hot enough to melt soft solder with normal use

I wouldn't even consider trying to use any of today's off-the-shelf computer cooling systems on a tube type amp. For what is required, it's far cheaper to run chilled water. Much less if you just run a big tank of distilled water

Add a room size air conditioner to chill the water and you can really push them to the cathodes limits although that may not be that great of an idea.

Put the tank, cooler, and low power centrifugal pump in the basement and you can have a real nice system, BUT be careful of condensation!

73

Roger (K8RI)