Re: [Amps] Ion Pump

To: "'Roger \(K8RI\)'" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>, "'Hardy Landskov'" <n7rt@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ion Pump
From: "Ian White" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 10:37:29 +0100
That same Wikipedia article quotes 10^-7 to 10^-10 torr as being typical
for vacuum tubes. This is consistent with a value of 10^-8 that I'd
heard from another source.

It is also consistent with John's comment that pressures higher than
about 10^-7 torr will lead to problems with arcing, while anything lower
than 10^-10 requires special techniques that are time-consuming,
expensive and not suited to mass production.

The most striking fact of all is that even a "good" vacuum tube still
contains upwards of a BILLION gas molecules. Although these neutral
molecules don't significantly impede the normal operation of an electron
tube, they are also the potential ingredients of a destructive arc which
is why vacuum quality becomes very important in high-voltage
transmitting tubes.

73 from Ian GM3SEK