Re: [Amps] 50V FET output transformer

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 50V FET output transformer
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 17:42:51 +0000
Dan,

Has anyone built an output transformer for a 50V LDMOS FET (Freescale device) that could lend some help with this?

I have some experience with such transformers. Not specifically with the Freescale devices, but that shouldn't matter. Also with 100V supplies.

By my estimation a 16:1 constructed of (2) 4:1 Guanella?s should give a satisfactory match to 50 ohms.

As long as they are for the correct impedances, yes. Building a Guanella transformer for 3.1:12.5 ohm isn't entirely trivial.

The XFMR I've built currently only gives about 33% efficiency.

Tell me the details of its construction, and I should be able to suggest improvements. Most likely the leakage inductance is killing it.

Manfred