Re: [Amps] HV Diodes

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV Diodes
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 01:52:23 -0400
On 10/16/2014 9:38 PM, Dan Simmonds wrote:
Perhaps, yes. But regardless of how inexpensive the Chinese amps may be, at the end of the day they will still be Chinese amps, metaphorically speaking.

Exciting things to come in 2015 in the QRO solid state market. Trust me on this :)

To sell to us they don't need certification. Of course they'd sell a lot more with certification and dealers which would push the price up a notch.

I'd rather have a true QRO SS amp that'd run the legal limit on any mode and stay cool. That'd mean about 2 to 2.5 KW PEP capability and being SS they'd have to be computer controlled to stay legal.

As fat as I see, a true SS QRO amp will still cost an arm and a leg. Maybe I'm wrong. Theoretically they should be able to build a "clean" SS amp with IM figures in the 40+ db range for well less than the cost of tube amps of the same power within a couple of years. I really liked the Tokyo Hi-Power amps.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Dan KK3AN

The Chinese have some serious amps but no US certification yet that Im aware of. Once they get going watch out! They are already taking over the tube business.

Carl
KM1H