Re: [Amps] solid state amps

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] solid state amps
From: Bryan Swadener via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 17:14:28 -0700
At the world's largest OEM of sealed CO2 Lasers, we used a pair of ARF1500s to
push 1KW into a CO2 Laser (100W Laser power). While hams get upset about VSWR
of 2:1, from just before ionization to "striking", a Laser is all over the
Smitch chart. Our RF sources needed to be derated a bunch. We went thru bunches
of FETs in a few protos before the design was bullet-proof. We ran 'em at 96VDC.

Since the resonant frequency of a Laser tube is a bit tricky to control, we
eventually moved to a power-oscillator design, using a half dozen SD2943 FETs
running at 48VDC, pushing 1KW of RF to get 100W of Laser power. I left around
that time.

Bad news: When we played Laser tag, getting hit meant getting a 3rd degree burn.
Good news: Burns were cauterized.

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC