Re: [Amps] Power from Pair of Eimac 4 x 150 a / 7034?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Power from Pair of Eimac 4 x 150 a / 7034?
From: Don Allen <w9cw@w9cw.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 19:54:33 -0600
As a Leading ET aboard a Sumner-class tin can back in the mid-'60s, I can assure you the Collins AN/URC-32 HF transceiver needed the 7580W tubes in the PA. Whenever the three twin-mount 5"/38 cal. guns, e.g. 6 guns, would fire in unison, the shock was rather significant. Occasionally, when we'd fire a 6 gun salvo to port or starboard, it would take a number of pieces of gear off-line, but never the URC-32. We always used it for long-haul SSB links - ship to ship, or ship to shore. We had a HF transmitter - a Westinghouse AN/WRT-2 - dedicated to the RTTY circuits using four 4CX300 tubes.

Our radiomen sometimes tuned the PA incorrectly , as well as the remote antenna tuner, and yet the 7580A tubes never needed replacement in my 2 1/2 year tenure aboard ship. Now, the 4X150A tubes in the UHF transmitters (known as TEDs) were changed rather often.

Don W9CW