Re: [Amps] High Voltage Wire

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] High Voltage Wire
From: "Larry" <lknain@nc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 12:36:16 -0500
RFParts also has HV wire - some at 30KV.

73, Larry  W6NWS

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Thomson
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 11:14 AM
To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] High Voltage Wire

Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 15:18:38 -0700
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
To: "'Wally'" <wklinn@hotmail.com>, "'Gary \"Joe\" Mayfield'"
<gary_mayfield@hotmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>

I've lately been using high temperature stranded red test lead wire, 10KV
rated, silicone insulation. It's sold by MCM Electronics, part number
201-125,  $25.95 for a 50 ft coil and is made by Pomona Electronics. Find it
at
http://electronics.mcmelectronics.com/search?cataf=&view=list&w=test+lead+wi
re&x=0&y=0

You can also get it in black. It's very flexible and durable, and easy to
route around chasses or to fit inside expandable sleeving with other wires.
It's thinner diameter and much more flexible than spark plug wire or the HV
cable I'd used in the past.  Be careful not to order the PVC insulated wire,
which is a lot cheaper but is not as flexible, and doesn't resist soldering
irons and high temperature.
73,
Jim W8ZR

##  I use belden HV test prod wire.  Comes in 25-50-100 ft rolls.  Comes
in either red or black. You can get it in either 5 kv rated..or 10 kv rated.

##  Both are fine stranded 18 ga wire.  Both are silicone rubber insulation.
Super flexible too. Easy to solder and or  crimp with sta-kon lugs..or ur
favourite HV connector.   The 10 kv rated stuff is aprx .23 inch OD.

## it works just fine at 8 kv dc. I use the red stuff for B+...and the black
stuff for the B-.  Most electronics places sell it.....so does Mouser.

## You can also use neon sign HV wire. Its usually blue in colour, also rated
at 10 kv, same 18 ga stranded wire, and also .23 inch OD..and same silicone
rubber jacket.   You can also get neon sign HV wire in much higher rated V
and also bigger ga wire, like 16-14-12 ga.

## back in the 70s, I used this teflon 40 kv rated stuff, with stranded wire inside. The teflon was covered with red pvc jacket. it works..BUT, its not super flexible,
and can easily stress the connections on each end.  It was aprx .22 inch od.

## The red and black 5 +10 kv rated belden test prod wire has been around since the 50s. 100% reliable. I use the 5 kv rated stuff in the drake L4B amps..and I use the 10 kv rated stuff in the hb amps. Heat does not bother silicone rubber insulation, which is high temp stuff. However, silicone rubber can be cut into if near sharp edges,
so if feeding through a chassis or side wall, use a rubber grommet.

Jim    VE7RF