Re: [Amps] 5 Minutes for Ameritron 811H to warm up?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 5 Minutes for Ameritron 811H to warm up?
From: greg greene <greg.greene74@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 07:58:30 -0700

> Actually, there is something wrong with that. Glass, technically, is a
> liquid and flows very slowly under pressure, even at room temperature
> over long periods of time. I believe this is the main reason glass
> tubes are prone to become gassy after years of storage. I can't prove
> it, but I believe this is why ceramic tubes are much less prone to
> this problem since ceramic is a rigid crystalline solid.
>
> That's just my theory - comments welcome.
>
> Bill W6WRT

You are correct Bill, if you exam glass windows that are several years old
you will find the bottoms thicker than the tops from the flow of the glass
due to gravity.  Add heat from using the tube to accelerate the process and
one can see how glass tubes could be more prone to failure than ceramic.
I'm not aware of the formula for the glass used in tubes off shore but we
can hope they are taking this into account when they manufacture them, but
probably not.

Greg VE7GPG