Re: [Amps] 5 Minutes for Ameritron 811H to warm up?

To: "'Alek Petkovic'" <vk6apk@bigpond.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 5 Minutes for Ameritron 811H to warm up?
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 10:40:33 +1030
All good points you make here Alek.

Apart from the el-cheapo design and construction economies made in the entry
level Ameritron AL-811 series amps, the 811A was indeed a good tube, as was
the 572B/160TL; the problem is the Chinese produced clones available in the
marketplace today are sadly not of the same build quality exhibiting the
same kind of ruggedness and long emission life of 811A and 572B Tx tubes of
ye days of old.

Consequently a matched pair or quad set of reputable brand vintage NOS 811A
/ 572B tubes are worth their weight in gold....and highly sought after.

It will be most interesting to see whether or not the RF Parts folk can work
through these tube manufacturing issues with their supplier(s) and someday
stock Chinese made clone tubes with an MTBF equal to or better than these
venerable oldies.

73

Leigh
VK5KLT