Re: [Amps] Test versus working voltage for oil filled capacitor

To: <ka4inm@gmail.com>, "amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Test versus working voltage for oil filled capacitor
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.qozzy.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 18:06:40 -0400
Actually they sound totally unsuited for the job at anywhere near the marked voltage, those are energy storage caps for some industrial pulse type of operation as seen by their feather weight. My 51 uF 9KV "real cap" is about 135# and the pair of 16uF 4KV used in the 1500W 2M amp are about 20-25 # each iffn I remember from when I built it over 30 years ago.

At 3000V maximum they should be fine but Id certainly take precautions when mounting them; vertical mounting only also.

----- Original Message ----- From: "KA4INM" <ka4inm@gmail.com>