Re: [Amps] Test versus working voltage for oil filled capacitor

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Test versus working voltage for oil filled capacitor
From: Alan Ibbetson <alan@g3xaq.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 19:28:03 +0100
My original post had a misleading typo: my capacitors weigh 10Kg not 10lb each. Sorry. They sound very similar to the CDE ones from Henry that Jim describes.

I have tested each unit for temperature rise when carrying 3A ripple current at 50Hz, using a carefully fused variac on UK mains. I clamped a temperature probe to the case for hands-free measurement. The bottom line is I can't see any temperature rise in one hour - confirmed by hand after removing the mains connection. I don't doubt these things are not purpose made for HT PSU applications but as far as ripple current goes they seem fine.

I do not yet have the means to charge the caps to 3KV in finite time for hi-potting so I will need to scratch build a PSU using a junk box transformer I have.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

73, Alan G3XAQ