Re: [Amps] Tetrode software

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tetrode software
From: Mike Tubby <mike@tubby.org>
Date: Sat, 02 May 2015 22:50:59 +0100
When I want to run old 16-bit or 32-bit DOS programs or console apps I use a program called DOSBox:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOSBox

which runs on Win-7 and Win-8 64 bit machines.

Mike G8TIC

On 02/05/2015 16:23, Gerald Williamson via Amps wrote:
Hi Kim, the older programs I have were originally written for running  on a
DOS computer. When Windows systems came along they could be run in a DOS
mode by going to the Start menu making the "RUN" selection and typing
"COMMAND"  or "CMD".
This would bring up a DOS window and you could run .exe programs just as in
  an old DOS computer. You could also run Basic programs by using GWbasic
and  others just like the old DOS computers. I still use GWBASIC to debug a
program  and then compile the program to create an .exe version that runs much
faster  than the .BAS version.
Windows versions all had this capability through Windows 7. There are
versions of Windows 7 that can operate in a 32 bit or 64 bit mode. The older DOS
  .exe programs that I have are all for 32 bit operation and will not work
at all  in a 64 bit computer. And, these programs all require use of the
above "Command"  or "CMD" method of producing a DOS window to run.
I have heard that there are emulator programs that provide a DOS looking
window for older programs but I have not personally used any as all of my
computers at home and work are XP or Win7 32  which are set up for 32  bit
operation.
I would like to convert my eme tracking programs to run in a 64 bit
computer but can't seem to muster up the courage to learn a newer programming
language for the job.
73,
Gerald K5GW
In a message dated 5/1/2015 5:39:47 P.M. Central Daylight Time,