Re: [Amps] SPE 2K RTTY Duty Cycle

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SPE 2K RTTY Duty Cycle
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 14:25:57 -0400

> There are many other keyboard-keyboard digi modes that can
> hold a qso under poor conditions at 30-50w.

Most of the modes that claim the ability to hold a QSO under poor
conditions at 30 - 50W fall apart very quickly with multipath or
QRM.  The claims are based on "flat noise" which is very rarely
the issue for typical amateur activity.

RTTY (FSK with 170 Hz shift, 45.45 baud) is still the winner with
multipath, polar flutter, QRM, etc.  It is only when you get to
the MS-110 type waveforms with heavy levels of redundant coding
(4800 BPS PSK to generate net 75 baud throughput) that the real
performance exceeds traditional RTTY - but then the bandwidth has
increased 10 fold.

73,

  ... Joe, W4TV