Re: [Amps] SPE 2K RTTY Duty Cycle

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SPE 2K RTTY Duty Cycle
From: Kevin Stover <kevin.stover@mediacombb.net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 17:21:23 -0500
On Fri, 22 May 2015 09:20:43 -0700
"Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net> wrote:

> transceivers  that will meet the fcc  imd spec.....yet make pure junk for the
> amateur radio versions.   But, if you look at the 12 vdc marine gear, like
> the typ 2-30 mhz types,  you will see that the microphone is hardwired into
> the radio.

**Easy answer, type acceptance. The marine rigs are type accepted and Ham rigs
aren't. Ham rigs only have to meet the -43 and -60 dB harmonic test. There is
no FCC reuqirement for IM3 testing of Ham transceivers.

> ##  If you want a triode tube amp that has superb imd, is instant on, and
> uses a rebuildable tube, the 3CX-3000A7 is the real ticket.   IMD3 = –59db
> pep.  That’s –53 db  below one tone of a 2 tone signal.  IMO, IMD referenced
> to  pep
> is valid.

**I'm not trying to be a smartass but none of the commercial manu's of amps
people buy have used that tube since the Henry 8K if I'm not mistaken. Until
the manu's start using tubes like that it won't change. Especiallly since new
chinese 8877's are ~ $650.

R. Kevin Stover
AC0H