[Amps] SB-220 6 meter conversion parasites

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SB-220 6 meter conversion parasites
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 14:38:15 -0600
Finished the SB-220 6 meter conversion, but it seems to have major parasitic oscillations.

A little background - I basically followed the 2008 QST article, except I have the original relay in it. I don't have a source of nichrome ribbon, so I made parasitic suppressors recommended by another avid VHF guy - a copper strap U, and a 300 ohm resistor straddling the U. No difference with or without those parasitic suppressors. The tuning capacitor is bigger than the one in the article - Surplus Sales is sold out of the smaller one. However, the tank does resonate on 6 meters.

Just to be sure, I'll describe the symptoms: engage the T/R relay with no input signal. Grid current, plate current and RF output ! I can change the level of these from 0 to potential disaster by adjusting the tuning capacitor. The RF chokes in the grid circuit have not (yet) fried.

Sources for small quantities of nichrome ribbon ?

Other suggestions ?

73,
Steve, N2IC