Re: [Amps] HV transformer and Variac

To: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@largeriver.net>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV transformer and Variac
From: Ros <ros@netbox.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 23:12:19 -0500
Semantic, Gary. My e.e. school said it is not a transformer in the classic sense -"trans" as in transforming one voltage/current ratio into another with the added benefit of isolation which the autoformer does not provide. The losses go up simply due to the fact that there is a greater potential difference.

On your last sentence, you say that if the input tap and the output tap is equidistant then, you have ordinary transformer action but not so.
Many other factors enter in.

Ros