Re: [Amps] MFJ-998RT Tuner

To: Amps group <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] MFJ-998RT Tuner
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 18:38:07 -0700

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 18:28:10 -0500, W0VT wrote:

>Anyone on here using or used a MFJ-998RT remote antenna tuner?  I plan
>to put up a vertical Loop with the bottom leg along the ground

REPLY:

That's going to be a very lossy antenna unless you have a highly
conductive earth under it. Radiation from the bottom leg will be
mostly absorbed by the earth.

I would suggest before you spend much time and money on this that you
try modeling it with EZNEC with the bottom leg an inch above ground
and normal earth and again with perfectly conducting earth. You might
change your mind.

73, Bill W6WRT