Re: [Amps] Ham sells fine grit thing to clean contacts

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ham sells fine grit thing to clean contacts
From: "Andre I. via Amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 08:16:09 -0700
A pencil eraser works best for cleaning contacts.

 To: amps@contesting.com
 Date: Monday, August 17, 2015, 10:13 AM

 Agree David, a "burnishing tool" is
 designed to clean various electrical
 contactors/relay contacts.
 I have a couple of them, and not sure, but would think that
 Grainger
 might carry them.
 73, Pete N4KW

 On 8/17/2015 1:19 AM, David Harmon wrote:
 > Get a relay burnisher and forget paper....it can snag
 in the contacts and
 > can insulate them.
 >

 > 73
 >
 > David Harmon
 > K6XYZ
 > Sperry, OK

 On Behalf Of Charles H
 amps@contesting.com;
 w5ifp@gvtc.com
 > Subject: Re: [Amps] Ham sells fine grit thing to clean
 contacts

 > it will be a few weeks until I get whatever this man
 sells, but it is very
 > unlikely sandpaper coated with silica only.
 > "EmEry" Emery on paper for fine grinding is mostly
 aluminum oxide for
 > whatever good or ill that means.
 > A file makes me nervous due to the temptation to push
 too hard.

 > I have used white typing paper which works on very
 little
 > oxidation/corrosion but can be seen as a dark smear on
 the white paper which
 > tells you are getting something off the contacts.
 Fully black silver
 > contacts usually will not come clean enuf with just
 paper.

 > I have not tried spray-on contact cleaners, sold by
 that naming, nor carbon
 > tetrachloride (yes I can buy that).   I
 have used commercial silver polish,
 > for tableware and granny's candelabra, on silver coax
 sockets and that works
 > good on medium tarnish but needs lots of rubbing and
 the really black
 > tarnish resists that polish about half good.
 >
 > I am open to good suggestions.  Charly
 >
 >> Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 18:28:02 -0700
 >> From: w7why@frontier.com
 >> To: amps@contesting.com
 >> Subject: Re: [Amps] Ham sells fine grit thing to
 clean contacts

 >> Someone told me once that strips of paper from a
 brown paper bag works
 >> good for cleaning relay contacts.  73 Tom
 W7WHY

 >> On 8/16/2015 6:13 PM, Jim Hargrave wrote:
 >>> Sandpaper is a no no on relay contacts. It
 leaves minute sand
 >>> particles imbedded in the contacts, especially
 silver plated ones.
 >>> Use a metal contact file or good grade of extra
 fine Emory cloth.

 >>> 73, Jim - w5ifp@gvtc.com

 ---
 software.