Re: [Amps] Amp output power

To: Amps group <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amp output power
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 09:35:03 -0700

On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 08:51:40 -0400, you wrote:

>I think I've seen, new imported 8877s of reported good quality for the
>price of two tested, 3CX800 pulls.
>
>73
>
>Roger (K8RI)

REPLY:

I paid just over $500 for a Pride brand (Chinese) 8877 about four
years ago and it now has hundreds of hours of RTTY contesting on it
and still has full output. It did arc once when it was a few weeks old
and blew the AC line fuses. I replaced the fuses, found no other
damage, and it has been perfect ever since.

I see that Alpha has gone to a single 8877 in their top of the line
9500 amplifier.

IMO, the best tubes, everything considered, for an amateur amplifier
are either a single 8877 or a pair of 3-500Z's.  Opinions will vary of
course, but for cost, availability and effectiveness either of those
is hard to beat.

73, Bill W6WRT