Re: [Amps] Regulated filament current

To: nemo zilch <nemozilch@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Regulated filament current
From: MU 4CX250B <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 17:00:10 -0600
Bob,
If I understand your question, you want to feed the filament of your
GS35b with a current source, rather than a voltage source. On the face
of it, that seems like an unorthodox thing to do, since the voltage
across the filament will wander around to whatever is necessary to
give the preset current.

I'm not against current-limited filament supplies, which can clamp
startup surge currents to a safe value. If, say, a tube normally
operated at 12 V, you'd set the current limit of the power supply just
above the upper current specification of the tube. At any lower
current, the tube would see a regulated 12 V, and then cross over to a
regulated constant current if the current drawn by the tube ever tried
to exceed the current limit threshold, as would occur when the
filament was cold. Adjustable bench piwer supplies normally have this
cspability.
73,
Jim w8zr

Sent from my iPhone