Re: [Amps] Regulated filament current

To: Amps group <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Regulated filament current
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 18:13:59 -0700

On Thu, 3 Sep 2015 18:40:30 -0400, you wrote:

> My inclination is to adjust the current so that the
>voltage across the tube is 12.6 volts.  Does this seem like the correct
>thing to do?
>Bob W4AOS

REPLY:

Yes, that's what I would do too. The only caution is when you replace
the tube you should readjust your setting. No doubt the tube's
filament resistance will vary a little from tube to tube.

In fact, I would also check the setting from time to time to see if
the filament resistance itself is changing. I don't know if this
happens, but it's worth checking on until you know for sure.

One great advantage to current limited filament supplies is there will
be no large surge of current when powered up, unlike voltage source
supplies.

73, Bill W6WRT