Re: [Amps] Regulated filament current

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Regulated filament current
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2015 02:08:08 -0600
I agree with W8ZR's recommendation for regulation if it is used for filament power. I spoke with a high power tube application engineer at one of the manufacturers a couple years ago. He considered three methods: constant voltage, constant current and constant power for thoriated tungsten direct heated tubes. As a filament ages, and the carburization layer thins, the resistance of the filament changes. If constant current regulated, then the power into the filament and the heating temperature changes as the voltage will track the resistance change, trying to keep I = E/R constant. With constant voltage regulation, as R goes down, I goes up and vice versa. Over time, this has the effect that tube filament heating will increase slowly, which will hasten the process of decarb'ing the tube to eventual end of emission. Constant Power regulation is probably the best approach but not common or simple to implement.

But constant voltage, for the reasons below, is simple to implement, more immune to noise and fairly safe for the tube. It does require a current limit during turn on, typically set at some value above normal hot current, so that during turn on, it inrush of current is limited.

I work with one tube whose manufacturer specifies maintaining filament current, not voltage. The RCA/Burle/Photonis 7835 triode is the beast. Over time, we have to increase the current (just like the voltage in a VR mode) to keep emission adequate for the RF power we need. It has the strange result that if a tube breaks (going to air) the filament current stays fixed and only the voltage shifts downward, as the tube is destroyed.

Most of the other tubes I work with have voltage as the primary spec to watch. Not power supply voltage but the voltage at the socket or as close to it as possible. This isn't so easy with grounded grid where the cathode is hot with RF, so its measured at the cold end of whatever choke or cavity resonator feeds the cathode end of the tube.
73
John
K5PRO