[Amps] SPE 1.3K-FA and FTDX-5KMP

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] SPE 1.3K-FA and FTDX-5KMP
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 06:27:00 -0800
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 20:20:35 -0800
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
To: Amps group <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SPE 1.3K-FA and FTDX-5KMP

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 19:24:11 +0000, Manfred wrote:

>The power dissipation rating of the FETs used in the 2K-FA is also generous
>enough that brick-on-the-key operation at the legal limit should not be a
>problem, assuming that the heat sinking has been correctly done for that task.

REPLY:

The 2K-FA is not brick-on-the-key for RTTY at 1500 watts. You will get
about ten seconds of carrier and then it will drop down to the MID
power setting. It will run all day at 1000 watts RTTY. It will do 1500
watts PEP continuous on SSB and CW, but not RTTY.

As Manfred suggests, with better cooling it probably would do legal
limit RTTY. What a shame they didn't use bigger fans.

73, Bill W6WRT

##  Bill,  can you draw a schematic / rvs engineer,  your 2K-FA, as
Manfred suggests ?  IMO,  I think it would be a bitch to draw one out,
never mind trying to repair one.

Jim   VE7RF