Re: [Amps] HL2K high SWR input

To: Patrick EGLOFF <pegloff@gmail.com>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HL2K high SWR input
From: Charles H <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 11:44:55 +0000
Patrick,
If you have your TS850, which I think is a transceiver, RF output going to the
input of your amplifier, your transceiver will not tune your amplifier;  that
has to be done with the tank controls in the amp RF output circuits.

Using an antenna tuner on the transceiver/driver to load into an amplifier is
not at all a good idea and when doing that, usually it will cause a problem
with the amp or the driver.  Of course, thousands of hams do use their driver
antenna tuner to get a match into their amp, but even tho it sometimes "works,"
it is a poor substitute for a near 50 ohm input on the amp.

For example, the MLA-2500 original had such a poor input set of impedances
(varying by band) that the MLA-2500B was released with a near 50 ohm input
(adding input tuned circuits for each band), giving the driver an accurate 50
ohm impedance load....... and no need for the driver's antenna tuner.

You did not need disassemble anything except to try to address the need for a
near 50 ohm load from the amp to present to the driver, and do repair.

On the tank side of the amp, the final output components exist to resonate that
circuit and in some cases such adjustment will allow continued amp output even
into a high SWR, BUT IT DOES NOT REDUCE THE SWR appearing at the output of the
amp.   That can be addressed by a real antenna tuner, like the Nye model MB-VA,
and/or changing the antenna so it presents a load more close to 50 ohm.

The Nye antenna tuner, then, is hooked by coax from the output of the amplifier
and then on the TUNER'S output... on to the antenna.

Good luck, Charly

by Avast. www.avast.com