Re: [Amps] Oldie but Goodie MLA2500 questions

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Oldie but Goodie MLA2500 questions
From: Chuck Counselman <ccc@mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2016 15:29:46 -0400
> Charlie carroll <k1xx@k1xx.com> wrote:
> ... the individual that did the conversion [of my amp] replaced the
> single 500pF plate bypass disc cap with a 1000pF doorknob.  I’m
> going to try to shoehorn in a couple of additional disc caps of
> different values.

"Plate bypass”??  Do you mean the cap that bypasses the DC plate supply at the
“cold” end of the plate choke?  Or the cap that couples RF and blocks DC from
the plate to the tuned “tank circuit” or output impedance-matching network
(e.g., a pi- or a pi-L network)?

The former, RF-bypass cap should comprise several ceramic disc caps of various
values, connected in parallel, in order to provide a low impedance to ground at
every possible operating frequency.  These caps must have sufficient DC working
voltages, but their RF characteristics are not critical because they do not
carry very much RF current and the RF voltage across them is small .

The latter, RF-coupling cap must also have sufficient DC working voltage, but
its RF characteristics ARE critical, because this cap carries high RF current
and, if it does not have low loss at RF, it will self-destruct.  Using several
caps in parallel here will help by dividing current among them, so that each
one dissipates less power.  However, if the parallel-connected caps have a wide
range of values, then inevitably one of them will carry more current than the
others, because the nominal value of its capacitance is greater and/or because
it is series-resonant at a frequency for which the others are not.

Using a ceramic disc cap for plate-coupling can be DANGEROUS because MOST
ceramic disc caps have too much loss at RF.  Most ceramic disc caps are
intended for bypassing and NOT for coupling high RF current.  The ceramic
dielectric materials between their plates are made to have high dielectric
permittivity (epsilon), in order to get high capacitance in a small package.
Most of these high-epsilon ceramics have low Q, in other words high loss.  The
principal exception to this statement is that the ceramic in a disc cap labeled
“NP0” has not only a near-zero temperature coefficient (as the code NP0 is
intended to indicate) but also very high Q.  The temperature coefficient of a
coupling cap is not important, but the Q is very important.

An NP0 ceramic disc cap, or several such caps in parallel, would be good for
plate-coupling if it/they had sufficiently high DCWV and if it/they had
sufficiently low reactance(s) at the relevant frequencies.

In most of the high-power HF amps I’ve seen, the plate-coupling cap is one, or
several paralleled, ceramic doorknob(s) of the type made for transmitting.  It
is important not to use the type made for HVDC power-supplies.  The ceramic
dielectrics in the latter type have high epsilon and low Q.  Rather little RF
current will quickly overheat and destroy the latter type.

It is important to look at the code painted/stamped on a ceramic doorknob to
see whether the cap will handle high RF current.  The code “NP0” is best.
However, the code “N750" is very good.  The plate-coupling cap in my own
high-power MF and HF amp, and the cap in my high-power, L-network, MF and HF,
antenna tuner comprise parallel-connected ceramic doorknobs labeled “N750.”  I
would be wary of ceramic doorknobs having much higher (positive or negative)
temperature coefficients, e.g., N3300.

Having to read temperature-coefficient codes to infer the Q of a cap seems
unreasonable because you don’t care about the temperature-coefficient per se.
You care about the Q; but Q is not indicated directly in the labeling (although
some transmitting cap’s are labeled with a maximum RF current rating at a
stated frequency).  Sometimes one can find a manufacturer’s data sheet on the
Web, for a manufacturer’s part or type number that appears on the cap; but,
more often than not, you can’t, because the manufacturer has been out of
business for decades.

Since you have a VNA, I suggest measuring the complex impedance of a ceramic
doorknob cap before using it.  If you perform a careful calibration of your
instrument, you will be able to distinguish a cap having Q = 1000 from a cap
having Q = 2000 (or Q = 500).  A good plate-coupling cap has Q of at least 1000
at the frequencies of interest.  To test your calibration, you can measure a
vacuum cap.  While you’re at it, measure a few garden-variety disc ceramic
caps.  You will be shocked to see how low their Q’s are.

Some websites where you may find helpful info on the RF characteristics of caps
are, in alphabetical order:

First, a few present-day manufacturers of high-voltage, high-quality, ceramic
caps.  New caps are quite expensive.  I buy mostly surplus caps; and I measure
them before using them.  I measure complex impedance with a carefully
calibrated AIM 4170, and I test DCWV with a high-voltage DC power-supply.

<http://www.avx.com/>
<http://www.calramic.com/>
<http://www.calramic.com/Design/Assets/PDF_files/CRT-0023.pdf>
<http://www.calramic.com/Design/Assets/PDF_files/CRT-0006.pdf>
<http://www.kemet.com/>
<http://www.murata.com/>
<http://www.vishay.com/docs/28542/sseries.pdf>

G3YNH’s website is helpful regarding surplus caps (and inductors etc.).  See
especially:

<http://www.g3ynh.info/zdocs/comps/part_4.html>
<http://www.g3ynh.info/zdocs/comps/part_5.html>
<http://www.g3ynh.info/zdocs/comps/part_6.html>