[Amps] 3-500Z tube problems

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 3-500Z tube problems
From: Jack C. Shutt <w9gt@frontier.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 16:55:55 +0000 (UTC)
 Hello all.  I don't post here very often, but always enjoy reading the posts
and comments about the experiences of others.I'm looking for some info and
advice on 3-500Z tubes.  I have used these tubes for many years in several home
brew amps, as well as in a few commercially-built units.  I recently have had
some bad experiences with bad tubes (fil to grid shorts?) resulting in the loss
of some expensive components such as the fil/bias transformer, grid meter, and
bias circuitry consisting of hard-to-find high power zener diodes, etc. I'm
wondering if anyone has had any success in reviving bad tubes with shorts.  Is
there a procedure that can be used for clearing these shorts?  Also wondering
about design additions that you may have included in amps to protect the
circuitry from catastrophic failures.  I have experienced failures of Eimac
tubes and Chinese versions. Looking forward to your comments.  73,  Jack, W9GT