[Amps] SCR to adjust 240v to 200v

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SCR to adjust 240v to 200v
From: Jim Durham <jimdur@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 13:07:17 -0400
Hello all,

This is my first posting, so Howdy..

I have a Henry 2k-2 (modified to take 3-500Zs). After I bought it, some years back, I fired it up and tube filaments were very bright and HV was high.

Talked to Henry. They asked me the plate transformer number, which they looked up and said "Oh, that's the 200v European transformer". So, I put a hefty variac on the 240v AC incoming and all is fine, except I'd like to ditch the variac and was wondering about if anyone on here had any wise words about using an SCR instead to back the AC voltage off.

My experience with big SCRs (TV studio lighting) was that they tend to put out a lot of RF hash. I also wonder about how the choke and filter cap in the power supply would like non-sinusoidal AC waveform?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks and 73,

Jim, W2XO