Re: [Amps] AL-80A - Won't tune on 160m.

To: amps@contesting.com, Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-80A - Won't tune on 160m.
From: Vic Rosenthal 4X6GP <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 06:26:57 +0300
This is a common problem with this amp and the SB-1000 which is similar. You don't need to operate on 160m for this to happen. Here is an article which discusses the placement of a "corona washer" on the bandswitch to prevent this. Make sure you install such a washer when you fix the switch:

<http://www.northland-drifters.net/SB1000Project.htm>

The article also suggests replacing the parasitic suppressor with a different type. The original style parasitic suppressor is fine as long as the carbon resistor hasn't changed in value or even opened up. I would check this resistor and replace it if necessary. The nichrome type of suppressor isn't better and heats up more on 10 meters than the stock type.

Also while you are at it check the plate RF choke. There were several different chokes used in the manufacture of the AL80A and the early ones had a series resonance on 17m, which caused them to burn out if operated on that band. If the choke is one solid winding without gaps, replace it with an AL80B choke that you can get from Ameritron.

73,
Vic, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
Formerly K2VCO