Re: [Amps] AL-80A - Won't tune on 160m.

To: George Hall <n2cg@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-80A - Won't tune on 160m.
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 11:48:51 -0400
> On Sep 4, 2016, at 6:07 PM, George Hall <n2cg@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> Greetings Bill and the group,
>
> I have a late model AL-80A build in mid 1989 just a few months before MFJ
> bought Ameritron and soon after replaced the AL-80A with a total redesigned
> AL-80B which is still in current production with some change along the way.
> According to Carl KM1H On Nov. 28, 2015 QRZ.COM AMPS Forum the band switch
> wafer that usually burns out is the 160m contact solder terminal.  To prevent
> this from occurring a #8 brass flat washer is placed over the 160m terminal
> and soldered in place (see attached photo with yellow highlight and red
> circle area - sorry for the photo of a black and white picture ... that’s all
> I have and I don’t remember where I downloaded it from).
>
> My AL-80A had this #8 brass flat washer installed as Carl said, but I have a
> feeling earlier production AL-80A models did not.
>
> However you replace the burnt 160m band switch contact, if you AL-80A does
> not have this brass flat washer in place, then I strongly suggest you do so.
>
> 73, George  N2CG

Thanks for the picture, George.

No, my AL-80A did not have this washer. I’ll certainly add it when I make the
repair.

Hey, for anyone that is interested, I wrote up my latest mis-adventure with the
AL-80A on my blog. It details the reason the AL-80A is back on the bench:

http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com/2016/09/uh-oh.html

Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901