Re: [Amps] Acom 2000A - typical output power?

To: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>, Amps group <amps@contesting.com>, "Amps group" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Acom 2000A - typical output power?
From: Charles H <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 00:54:11 +0000
Needing real 1500 out and real continuous output at that power..........

1.  I would check the OM Power model 4000 (several versions) and choose the TWO
PHASE AC input, yes 2 phase.

2.  Ask about the Ameritron model 1500 with the 8873 tube, maybe ok but sure is
lots of amp for the money.

3.  I would look for used....... a Henry 4K or Alpha 77SX or get on top end of
75m and ask the regular rag chew groups for names of fellows who build brutal
amplifiers for them and their buddies.

I owned the Alpha 9500 new and it blew up 4 times in regular use.  Once was
blower hitting its housing, but other times were parts failing inside
amplifier, three different failures.   Also it had its own mind about which
output socket to select automatically.  My fluctuating AC may have been a
factor.... normal 230VAC would sag down to about 200 on voice peaks and snap
right back often.  Sold it at a big loss.

Avoid the Alpha 87a for too many age-related problems (I owned, sold).  Alpha
76pac, three tube, may do 1500 Continuous but maybe need more forced air?  (I
owned, sadly sold).

Sum, get OM Power 4000 likely, but avoid Alpha 9500.

73, Charly

Space below for folks to fill in telling me how wrong I am: