Re: [Amps] SB220 QSK and Vacuum relay mounting

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB220 QSK and Vacuum relay mounting
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2016 18:34:12 -0400
It was so long ago I can't remember exactly but... back around 92 I
was playing around with my old 220, I bypassed the PS and ran my HB
6KVA Pole Pig power supply to it. I Had an Amp Supply tuned input in
it and the band switch I put in was substantial. - With that, I used
Rich Measures QSK using a RJ-1A and a Mitsubishi reed relay & an
Optocoupler. It also had provisions for a series of reverse diodes to
adjust the tube bias properly and all in all, it was really nice. All
I can say is the amp ran perfectly after all the mods I did to it,
easily over 2300 out and it never hiccuped.

I had the QSK circuitry on a pegboard and all I remember about the
QSK placement is it was located on the lower deck where the original
relay was located. Removing that opened up some real estate as the
board was much larger than the original relay's footprint. I'm not
sure the size of W7RY's board but I'll bet it fits well there too.

Hope my ramblings helped.

73,

Gary
KA1J

> I´ve got a SB220 thats been on the bench since last year. It´s
nearing completion but I have a few remaining items left. One of the
last is finding a place for the W7RY QSK board and a pair of vacuum
relays I found on eBay. I´m looking for some guidance on the best
location for mounting the relays. They came in a nice bracket but
IcanTMt seem to find a good orientation. There are some phots online
but not many that show dual relays. Any guidance/photos from the
group would be very much appreciated. Related, I assume using some
kind of glue (silicon ahesive) instead of drilling holes would be
ok?